What we do?
Outset Youth Action (Outset) is an independent county wide youth organisation and registered Charity which operates over the whole county of West Sussex.
Outset acts as a volunteering agency for young people aged 13 - 25, encouraging and supporting young people to take on a wide range of volunteering opportunities within their community. The nature of these opportunities is to provide support and benefit to West Sussex communities and contribute to each young person’s own personal development.
Available to all!
- Outset Youth Action encourages and supports a wide range of young people to volunteer for the benefit of their local community, irrespective of their personal situation. They do not need any qualifications and it will not cost them any money.
- Young people within education, volunteer to support their learning, gain valuable experience of future career ideas, and develop wider skills and experience to enhance their entry to college, university and employment.
- Young people who are not in education, employment or training volunteer to maintain their employability, confidence and motivation whilst deciding their options for the future.
- Young Parents volunteer to maintain their work skills whilst at home with children.
- Young people with an additional needs volunteer together with the assistance of buddies and friends to develop community projects and work towards accreditation.
- Young people aged 20-25 choose to volunteer for example, following sudden redundancy. These young people require full time volunteering opportunities, regular support and out of pocket expenses in order to enable them to volunteer and maintain their work skills.
- Over 1200 West Sussex young people become Outset Volunteers each year.
Find out how you can make a difference by giving just a little
We know you’re busy learning those new skills but how about putting them to practice and help within your local community while you’re at it?
Not only could you build rewarding relationships with local organisations, you could also gain some experience for your CV and put your skills to good use in the local community. Even just one day of your time and skills can make a big difference.
Studies have shown that the skills individuals can learn whilst volunteering or in work placements are widely transferable to their everyday life and even the workplace.
Increased skill levels in communication, leadership, using initiative and teamwork.
- Would you like to volunteer but have little time to spare?
- Do you have a particular skill that you would like to share with a local charity/community group?
- Are you an organisation that has a small project that needs completing but just doesn’t have the staff/volunteer hours to do it?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then Outset Youth Action is the place for you!
We know that the benefits of volunteering are huge both for the organisation and for the individual but we also know that sometimes life is just too busy to volunteer regularly every week. However, you can still make a massive difference to the local community even if you only have a few hours to spare.
- Maybe you and a group of friends could even spend a day digging over a vegetable patch at a community allotment
- Help out at a local charity shop
- Help older citizens to understand and use the internet
- Work with disadvantaged children
- Be involved with conservation in the countryside
- Design and paint a mural for a local community project
The possibilities are endless, and don’t have to take up lots of your time or require a regular commitment.